Re: problems with woody quik on beige g3 300

This electronic message is not binding on its sender nor on Cetrel S.C.
Any use of information of this mail except the use by the addressee
within his or her business relation with Cetrel is strictly forbidden
CETREL S.C. L-2956 Luxembourg; Tel: 00352 35566-1; http://www.cetrel.lu

Edd Dumbill wrote:
> So, I picked up a beige G3 300 from eBay.  It has OpenFirmware 2.4, and
> has a Rage 64 Pro graphics chip.
>
> I'm trying to complete an install of woody on this machine.  BootX works
> great, but I've had no luck with quik.  Specifically, the symptoms are
> that it just sits there on reboot -- not even a monitor signal or any
> error message.  Boot into OF, type 'boot', and I see 'unable to open
> ata/ata-disk@0:0'.  (I've tried every conceivable combination for
> boot-device, including substituting 0:0 for 0:2, see below, and been
> through every value for load-base).

According to my beige G3's device-tree at work, there is no such thing
as ata/ata-disk. You need to change your boot-device setting.

Try:

- canonical names:

/pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@0:<partition>	(master on first bus)
/pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@1:<partition>	(slave on first bus)
/pci/mac-io/ide@21000/disk@0:<partition>	(master on second bus)
/pci/mac-io/ide@21000/disk@1:<partition>	(slave on second bus)

Not sure that the second IDE bus is available on a connector; I can't
open the box right now.

You can also try the aliases, each with the disk part appended:

/ata-int/	->  /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/
/ide/		->  /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/
/ide0/		->  /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/
(all on the first IDE bus)

/ide1/		->  /pci/mac-io/ide@21000/
(second IDE bus)

There is no alias 'ata' nor 'ata-disk' (on my machine, at least).

Except I'm booting from SCSI, quik works perfectly well on my beige
G3.

Cheers

Michel

--

Michel Lanners              | "Being able to break security
                            |  doesn't make you a hacker
michel.lanners@cetrel.lu    |  more than being able to hotwire cars
Cetrel S.C.                 |  makes you an automotive engineer."
10, Parc d'Activite Syrdall |
L-5365 Munsbach             |               Eric S. Raymond