Re: POWER3 - URL

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 04:22:40PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 15:14, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> > > Does anybody know where I submit a bug for this directory:
> > > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/
> > >
> > > It needs a 'power3' subdirectory for IBM RS6000/pSeries workstations.
> >
> > Well, no one is doing active development on the installer system for
the
> > Debian "woody" distribution (called boot-floppies) anymore.
> >
> > Currently work is proceeding on "debian-installer", our next-generation
> > installation system.  The developers need someone to help work on
> > porting it to PowerPC systems in general; your help would be
> > appreciated.  The debian-installer is targeted for use in the next
> > Debian release, "sarge".
> >
> > So no need to submit a bug; if you want to see Debian "sarge" run on
the
> > pSeries, what we need is an active developer with that hardware to do
> > development.
>
> True enough, but I know you've been working on this for a few months
Rolf.
> If you have the contents ready for that, is there some stable place on
> the net that we could point to for people to find it?
>
> --
> *------v--------- Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 --------v------*
> |      <http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/installmanual>      |
> |   debian-imac (potato): <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>   |
> |            Chris Tillman        tillman@voicetrak.com          |
> |                   May the Source be with you                   |

Well, I have been on vacation and too busy at work lately. Linux is far
from my principal job responsibility, so I only work on Linux when
management is looking the other way. ;-)

But I did look at the source code for 'boot-floppies' and since the boot
process is something that I am not overly familiar with, I came to the
conclusion it would take me some time to figure out what the code is doing.
That being the case, and the fact that the plan is to drop support form
'boot-floppies' and migrate to 'debian-installer' I think the best use of
my time would be to concentrate on the latter. However, any suggestion or
opinions on this matter are welcomed.

Regarding hardware, keep in mind that I have access to most RS6000/pSeries
hardware - old and new.

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group