Tulip madness

Hi all,
I have a PowerMac 5500/250 with the built-in Ethernet card (a Tulip
one). Kernel is 2.4.19-rc1-ben0.
I never managed to make the Ethernet card work right on GNU/Linux,
previously on YDL and also on Debian.
If I load the "tulip" module, it finds the wrong MAC and doesn't work at
all.
If I load the "de4x5" module, it works for a short time. After a few
minutes, I have to restart networking because it loses contact with the
other computers on the network.

I've read that the Tulip code on the kernel is borked.

Do I need to buy an PCI card (like a RTL8139-based one) to make
networking work right?

--
Cesar Cardoso - cesaracardoso@yahoo.com.br - www.cesarcardoso.tk
"Tá aí a lua. Que beleza! Será crescente ou decrescente? Decrescente, é