Re: apt-get issues on potato

yes, you are right.. some how all this time the file has been getting corupted this is what i got and it continues to happen.. i just deleted the whole plum entry

Package: plum
Section: net
Installed-Size: 1032
Maintainer: GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.33.1-2.1
Depends: perl5 | perl
Filename: dists/potato/main/binary-all/n^@t/plum_^@.33.1-2^@1.deb
S^@ze: 124648
MD5sum: 8a0def1eaf3a28baab7b03d2d212126a
plum works as personal proxy, stationing, logging, and bot program on
IRC (Internet Relay Chat). It has many modules, so the user can use
a lot of functions. It is also easy to customize its configurations.
Note that its documents are only available in Japanese.

For some reason control characters are inserted... i have been getting a lot of corupted files.. don't know why.

-Adam

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 21:40, Chris Tillman wrote:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:10:37PM -0400, Adam wrote:
> This is my 3rd box to install Debian on and each one had their own
> particular issues.  This box is my oldest.  I think it is revision 1 of
> the b/w G3 if not that then it is rev 2.  It is a 350mz with 650mb of
> ram and 2 internal hard drives.
>
> I have installed most of potato I want to use on this install.  (This
> install is the 4th or 5th one each resulting in the same type of
> errors.)
>
> After selecting the packages I want to install.. I get this error
>
> apt-get install
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 50 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 73278
> package `plum':
>  user-defined field name `S' too short
>

> no matter what combo or apt-get I use.. it is all the same resutls.
> Before the error with 'plum' there were other errors with other
> packages.  I don't want to have to reinstall again.

Sounds like file corruption. For me, grep-available plum returns:

------

Package: plum
Section: net
Installed-Size: 1032
Maintainer: GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.33.1-9
Depends: perl5 | perl
Filename: pool/main/p/plum/plum_2.33.1-9_all.deb
Size: 124894
MD5sum: 2dd274281f87d0118b796bb90a4bff95
 plum works as personal proxy, stationing, logging, and bot program on
 IRC (Internet Relay Chat). It has many modules, so the user can use
 a lot of functions. It is also easy to customize its configurations.
 Note that its documents are only available in Japanese.

Package: python-bobo
Section: web
Installed-Size: 248
Maintainer: Gregor Hoffleit <flight@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.1.4-7
Depends: python (>= 2.1), python (<< 2.2)
Suggests: python-bobopos, python-bobodtml
Filename: pool/main/p/python-bobo/python-bobo_2.1.4-7_all.deb
Size: 46308
MD5sum: 8972358041375f40cd4f4ed63c373c05
 Publish Python objects on web servers.
 .
 The Python object publisher provides a simple mechanism for publishing a
 collection of Python objects as World-Wide-Web (Web) resources without any
 plumbing (e.g. CGI) specific code.
Task: python-dev

-----

What does it show you? Are all the keywords identical?

BTW, I think apt-get update should get you the latest available file. You
could also replace the one you have by deleting it, then apt-get update.

Has the machine crashed a lot? I was getting strange file corruption when
I had a crashing bug; the fsck is not always 100%.