Re: wmappl

Bastien Nocera writes:
> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 23:09, Mij wrote:

>> "Signed" is an implicit keyword, and it doesn't implies
>> any specific behaviour. It's simply implied. Then, I
>> think the problem comes from a gcc optimization.
> Char on PPC is unsigned.

It doesn't have to be. What benefits do we get from
being incompatible with the rest of the world?
Not that a signed char (negative letters???) makes
any sense, but that's the norm.

I don't think it would be terribly hard to fix this.
At the syscall level, and even at the libc level,
there wouldn't be much of an ABI difference at all.
If anything, buggy behavior would disappear.