Re: X freeze on new iBook

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 09:48:37AM +0200, Reto Wyss wrote:
> hi,
>
> recently i bought myself one of these new ibooks 700 12" Combo with an ATI
> Radeon Mobility LY (AGP) card. i installed debian on it, and everything
> went fine.
>
> it was a bit harder to get X working. it works now, but not accelerated.
> i'm using the kernel 2.4.19-rc1-ben0, and i downloaded, compiled and
> installed XFree86 4.2.0.
>
> now, the story is the following. when i start up X, everything goes fine,
> however when i look into the log, it says that AGP is not available and
> later on that direct rendering is disabled. this is confirmed by glxinfo.
> an lsmod reveals that the agpgart module was not loaded. so i load it by
> hand and try again. now X comes up again but ... the mouse cursor looks
> like a bar-code, and the background has a very strange, irregular greenish
> pattern. at this stage i can still tear it down, however if i start X
> using startx (running kde) X freezes. running top remotely yields that X
> is using 100% cpu. when i check the log this time everything seems fine,
> AGP was found, DRI enabled and so on.

In my case is even worse, now that you bring the issue to some light:

boo:~# lsmod
agpgart                20100   0  (unused)

and from the log:

(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize -- falling back to PCI mode.
(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] Make sure you have the agpgart kernel module loaded.

So I am missing something, here.

Can you post your config file, so I can take a look at it?

Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
http://www.HispaLinux.es/~data/  |  data.pandacrew.org
Please, encrypt mail address to me: GnuPG ID: 86946D69
FP: BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69
Registered Linux user #66350 Debian 3.0 & Linux 2.4.19