Re: Finally got debian installed, X configured, and am locked out of Linux

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:29:36PM -0500, Bert Knabe wrote:
> After much wailing and nashing of teeth, I have gotten Linux installed and
> Xwindows almost working. Installing Linux was the easy part. Now when I boot
> Linux, it boots into a Debian graphic login, but it won't let me login.
> Whether I log in as me or as root, it says the password is incorrect. I know
> the passwords are correct, they are the same wones I used from the command
> line. The last thing I did before this started was to try to start Xwindows.
> The machine hung, and I eventually had to reset it. The next time I booted
> into Linux, a graphical screen with Debain Login at the top, and "Login:"
> and "Password:". After three tries, it hangs, and I have to reboot. Now my
> username appears when it boots up, along with the first letter of my
> password (on the same line as the username).
>
> The computer is a Motorola Starmax Mac clone, 603e/180, Tanzania mobo, 96
> meg RAM, Linux installed on SCSI 0. If you need more information, I'll try
> to answer any questions.
>
> Thanks,
> Bert Knabe

By switching to a console, you can at least try more often. To get
from X to a console, use Control-Option-F1 thru F6. (X should be
running in F7). If you can't get in through the console with your
root password, you'll have to boot with the installer floppy again
to fix it. (I can help offline if that's required.)