Re: Horrible sound then waking up ibook from sleep

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Joakim Andersson wrote:

[...]
> I have a ibook2 600 Mhz and now two times it has produced a _very_ loud
> and totally horrible sound when waking up from sleep. It's hard to
> describe the sound, it's like a mix between a very loud firealarm and
> the sound you get when a microphone is too close to the speakers
> (whatever that is called in English). Except for the sound the machine
> wakes up fine, the display is restored, I can use the mouse and keyboard
> etc. This last time I tried to change the volume settings but it didn't
> affect the sound at all. The only fast and effective way I've found to
> get rid of it is to press the small reset button.

This is a known bug in the sound driver. Some people have reported that
plugging and immediately unplugging headphones helps, others have had
success with (repeatedly) opening and closing the lid.

My favourite is removing and re-insterting the dmasound_pmac module by
backward-isearching this from my bash_history:

sudo fuser -k /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer* ; sudo rmmod dmasound_pmac && sudo modprobe dmasound_pmac

Always worked nicely, so far. It's still annoying, though...

Cheers,
	Siggi