Re: simple way to BenH-nize my kernel @ iBook-Tangerine

This is an FAQ.  The debian way to do it is to install kernel-package
and use that to make a kernel-image package.

1.  apt-get install kernel_package (as root)
2.  Download BenH's kernel some how.  I use rsync.
3.  unpack the kernel, if it isn't already.  I usually put it in
/usr/src where its expected.
4.  cd /usr/src/linux
(The following are done as root, or use fakeroot or sudo or something.)
5.  make menuconfig (you'll need libncurses5-dev for this)
6.  configure your kernel. (do you know what you need and do you know
your hardware?)
7.  make-kpkg clean
8.  make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
If everything goes well, there should be a
kernel-image-2.4.1*_custom.1.0_powerpc.deb package in /usr/src.
9.  dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.1*_custom.1.0_powerpc.deb
10.  Reboot computer and pray!  (or play around with yaboot and set up
a second backup linux kernel to boot from.)

Have I missed anything??

Good Luck.

Marshal

    BUYO> am a sound oriented person and intended to use csound @
    BUYO> woody

    BUYO> many have suggested me to re-compile BenH's kernel but am
    BUYO> newbie enough to get confused in doing that is there a nice
    BUYO> site that will teach me the a to z of it tonight?

    BUYO> or

    BUYO> is there a nice bin suitable for IBook-Tangerine that will
    BUYO> let me simply replace the vmlinux with it?  (that's not the
    BUYO> right way even if the bin existed?)

    BUYO> http://homepage.mac.com/sarigama

    BUYO> -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
    BUYO> debian-powerpc-request@lists.debian.org with a subject of