-L not working properly?

Hey,

I'm running an up-to-date sid on my pismo, and in the last month I've
started getting strange behavior when compiling code that uses dynamic
libraries that I have multiple copies of (devo versions and stable
versions).

I've got link lines like:

g++ -DLINUX -fpic  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib \
 [bunch of .o files]
 /home/jasons/work/xml-xerces/c/bin/DOMPrint
 -L/home/jasons/work/xml-xerces/c/lib -lxerces-c -lc

but I get a bunch of link errors because the linker is actually using
the libxerces-c.so in /usr/lib and not the one in
/home/jasons/work/xml-xerces/c/lib

by hard-coding the exact path to the library it worked fine.

This also happened to a CPAN module I downloaded and compiled, which
required a completely different library.

I thought the order of -L flags was 'last seen, first used'? What
would make the linker not use that order?

Thanks,
jas.