Re: only a little explanation

Ivan <darthxiong@libero.it> writes:

> cpu             : 740/750
> temperature     : 44 C (uncalibrated)
> clock           : 400MHz
> revision        : 131.2 (pvr 0008 8302)
> bogomips        : 797.90
> machine         : PowerBook3,1
> motherboard     : PowerBook3,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> L2 cache        : 1024K unified      <----- this!!! 1M of cache?
> memory          : 192MB
> pmac-generation : NewWorld

L (level) 1 Cache: Cache internal to the CPU; this is the closest
                   cache the CPU works with

L2 Cache: External the processor itself and often configurable by the
          end-user. Generally, this is quicker memory than main store.

Mine shows 256K of a Cache:

cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 44 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 240MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0008 0202)
bogomips        : 478.41
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,e826 MacRISC
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 160MB
l2cr override   : 0xa9000000
pmac-generation : OldWorld

General L2 info:
<http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/dec99/091299.html>

I read a book entitled Efficient Memory Programming by Loshin and it
explained a lot of things like this. It also talks about things like
"rolling loops", etc. It was a worthwhile read.

Elizabeth