Trying to use sleepd for inactivity

I'm trying to use sleepd to put my machine to sleep during periods of
inactivity when it's on the battery.  Is anyone else doing this, or are
they using some other package?

sleepd works by watching the IRQ bus for interrupts. Specifically,
looking through the code it looks through /proc/interrupts for anything
that looks like an interrupt for a mouse or keyboard.

Here's what my /proc/interrupts looks like. I'm using an iBook DV 466.

           CPU0
 19:      21205   OpenPIC   Level     ide0
 20:        244   OpenPIC   Level     ide1
 25:     783175   OpenPIC   Level     VIA-PMU
 27:          8   OpenPIC   Level     usb-ohci
 41:      23559   OpenPIC   Level     eth0
 47:     230550   OpenPIC   Level     GPIO1/ADB
 55:          0   OpenPIC   Edge      NMI - XMON
BAD:        166

(one second later, i don't touch the keyboard)

            CPU0
 19:      21208   OpenPIC   Level     ide0
 20:        244   OpenPIC   Level     ide1
 25:     783182   OpenPIC   Level     VIA-PMU
 27:          8   OpenPIC   Level     usb-ohci
 41:      23565   OpenPIC   Level     eth0
 47:     230561   OpenPIC   Level     GPIO1/ADB
 55:          0   OpenPIC   Edge      NMI - XMON
BAD:        166

Now of course, iBooks being the freaky brainchild of Apple, they don't
do anything quite so mundane as use, you know, interrupts for the
keyboard.  Everything gets delivered through ADB, which appears to be
delivering heartbeat interrtupts, since it goes up by about 10 every
second.

I wonder if anyone knew of a better way to watch for system activity in
any meaningful way?

--
       ,,,
      (. .)