Re: Another Newbie question

This depends what you're trying to do.  You want your macs to just be X
terminals?  Sure, you can use whatever you want for the server, just run
your X programs remotely.  Programs like abiword are pretty intensive, so
you'll need a lot of ram.  Also, 10baseT is a bit slow for running X apps
on the network.

A better solution might be to have your macs net boot from a central server,
see:
http://www.ltsp.org/index.php
-Brett