Boot Problem -- Firmware?

Ok, I've got what may be an obscure problem. I am installing Debian on our
file server here (PMac 8500/150) and used a PMac 8500/180 as a test bed
before trying to perform the install. The 180 successfully booted and
installed without a hitch (save the poor firmware instructions in the
install guide). Now, trying to boot off the boot-floopy-hfs.img image on
the server fails. Here's what happens:

1. Gray screen appears
2. Happy Mac appears
3. Tux next to a monitor appears (approx. 10-20 seconds, floppy access
audible)
4. A red 'X' over a changed tux (no monitor) appears and boot halts

I've tried asking on #debian (openprojects.net) with no replies and I'm
sure my floppies are good (ran cmp after dd and the md5sum on the disk
image is good). If it's of any use, my floppies seemed to have gotten
written at some point during boot -- using them without write protection
results in floppies that are ejected automatically on boot. Running cmp on
the modified floppy results in the second byte showing up as being
incorrect. I didn't think to run diff (although I should've). This problem
happens with both the stable and testing images. Both versions of the
floppy are bootable on the 180.

Brian

Brian M. Kim
bmhkim@cynica.lly.org
585.274.3672 (room)
585.455.6464 (cell)
http://cynica.lly.org/

"Can you imagine the silence if everyone said only what he knows?"
- Karel Capek