Re: slows to a crawl when hard drive is in use

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:15:40PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> Egidio Corsini <egidio.corsini@fastweb.it> writes:
>
> > Have you tryed to tune some parameters with hdparm?
> > Mine looks like that
> > /dev/hda:
> >  multcount    =  0 (off)
> >  I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
> >  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
> >  using_dma    =  1 (on)
> >  keepsettings =  0 (off)
> >  nowerr       =  0 (off)
> >  readonly     =  0 (off)
> >  readahead    =  8 (on)
> >  geometry     = 38760/16/63, sectors = 39070080, start = 0
> >  busstate     =  1 (on)
> >
> > And they're still not optimized, but it works well.
> > Try at least hdparm -d 1 /dev/hd? in order to enable dma
>
> These are the default settings, afaik.  What I (and the previous
> poster, I suspect) are curious about is 'unmaskirq', I guess, or
> anything else that will make the system more usable when the hard
> drive is at work.

IRQ unmasking on my ibook hasn't made me lose any data yet (that I'm
aware of...):

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 38760/16/63, sectors = 39070080, start = 0
 busstate     =  1 (on)

However, the system is only marginally more useful when there's heavy
disk I/O. I run the same settings on a G4 desktop (unknown model) that
acts as a mail server, and it sometimes bogs down quite badly for a few
seconds at a time when there's heavy IMAP activity (although now that
I've ditched wu-imap, it dosen't thrash as badly as before). If the mail
server's settings caused data loss, I'd probably have heard about it by
now from angry users.

--
William Aoki     waoki@umnh.utah.edu       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
B1FB C169 C7A6 238B 280B  <- key change    \ /  No HTML in mail or news!