more alsa audio input

   I have finished some more testing of the audio input under current
alsa cvs on a PowerMac G4/AGP with the screamer chipset. It turns out
that the problem I was having with overly sensitive recording levels
was due to me having mic boost set to a non-zero value in alsamixer.
Once I set mic boost to zero I was able to use the complete range of
the Capture levels without overloading the audio input.
   I have also confirmed that audio input using the oss compatibility mode
of alsa works as well. I used the snd program to record 1 and 2 channel
wavs at several data rates and they all recorded and played back fine.
Hopefully folks on tumbler will have as good of luck.
                    Jack