Re: eth0 link state change

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:25:40AM -0600, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> For about a week now my logcheck emails have been flooded with the
> following:
>
> May 15 07:05:16 amadeus kernel: eth0:    Link down !
> May 15 07:05:16 amadeus kernel: eth0: Link state change, phy_status: 0x7809
> May 15 07:05:18 amadeus kernel: eth0:    Full Duplex: 0, Speed: 100
> May 15 07:05:18 amadeus kernel: eth0:    Link up ! BCM5201/5221 aux_stat: 0x003e
<snip>
> Any idea why my eth0 link might be going up and down all the time? Is
> this a local issue with my laptop, or is it likely an issue with the
> router on the other end of the ethernet link? I upgraded the OS on my
> cisco router just about the time I started seeing this, so it makes me
> suspicious.
  Check the port on your laptop.  I somehow managed to compress the pin on
my ethernet port down enough so that they only make intermitant contact at
best.  A bit of fiddling with a paper clip and how they're back in position
making good contact.  I thought it was odd because I rarely use the ethernet
port (gotta love wireless).
  If that isn't it you might want to try throwing a small hub/switch between
the laptop and the router.
  Oh, and give the ends of your patch cord a good once-over.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
"Moses, how do we kill a a giant, stone Abraham Lincoln?"
"Um, um, a giant, stone John Wilks Booth?"