base system woes on ibook2 (not 12 hours old)

first caveat, this is my initial foray into mac hardware, w/exp. on i386
w/linux.

ibook2 brand spanking new. followed several online guides

http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html

http://www.xiph.org/~jack/ibook/instnotes.html

and have os9 and osx installed already. have booted into the debian installer
through OpenFirmware after copying linux.bin, yaboot, yaboot.conf and
root.bin to osx's root directory, then starting with a boot hd:9,\yaboot or
some other apple magic...

so the installer starts and i get the kernel and driver modules off the net
at
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/...

when it comes time to install the base system, i'm having much trouble. i
have no iso cdrom. i've been trying to do this over the network, which is
working. i can ping from another box the laptop, and in tty2 i can ping my
router from the ibook. and the installer went and dloaded the drivers.tgz
from the above URL...

the error i receive is:

Release Check Failed:

The Server was unavailable or contained no Release file.

#######

Google hasn't helped me, or i'm getting cross-eyed from this and missed it.

is the installer expecting a 'release' file? i have seen the URL pointers for
potato having a different makeup than what i see available for woody.

END OF EXPLANATION

question? if i dload and burn an iso for my powerbook, which one should i
get? what arthritic ninja hand move do i have to do to boot from the cd? the
open-apple+option+O+F? if so, then when in OF, what do i type to get to the
cd?

I hope someone's still awake, or waking up...

ken