Re: Weird Matrix of New Problems on iBook2

On   6 May, this message from Orion Buckminster Montoya echoed through cyberspace:
> Running Sid on an iBook2 600MHz/640MB RAM 12":
>
> 1) Lately when I've been waking the machine from sleep, perhaps more
> than 50% of the time it has spun up the HD and sounded like it was
> waking up, but
>  - the display remains blank and black
>  - ping/ssh from other machines fails
>  - closing the lid again does not put it back to sleep
>
> When I give up on resuscitating it by any other means, I reset it and
> -- here's the creepy part -- the screen stays black indefinitely,
> across several more resets.  Whether I hold down Option, or
> cmd-opt-O-F, or reset the PRAM, it's a completely random number of
> resets before my display works again.  Sometimes I hear disk activity
> that sounds like a boot sequence, and sometimes I don't.

Hmmm....

> 2) X will occasionally die if I move the machine a little: I can't get
> it to happen when I'm trying, but when I least expect it and least
> want it, the screen will go blank and I will return to the gdm login
> screen.  /var/log/syslog reports succinctly:
>
> May  6 04:04:47 settantacinque gnome-name-server[663]: input condition is: 0x11, exiting
> May  6 04:04:47 settantacinque gdm[584]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
>
> (these may not be completely related, as the first line sometimes
> occurs without the second, but the second never occurs without the
> first)
>
> 3) Sometimes my X session will freeze.  This can look like a kernel
> crash, but it hasn't happened recently enough for me to be vigilant in
> investigating it.  My main evidence for thinking it is a kernel crash
> is that I once or twice got an xmon prompt (but not always) and every
> time it happens, I can no longer ping/ssh the machine (so i.e. it's
> evidently not just an X freeze).  When this happens without the xmon,
> I have to give 'er the 3-fingered salute.  Here is what was in syslog
> when it happened just now (alongside an x-crash) (19 lines)
> [kernel is a home-built 2.4.18-ben0 that was problem-free for months]
>
> May  6 11:57:31 settantacinque gnome-name-server[658]: input condition is: 0x11, exiting
> May  6 11:57:32 settantacinque gdm[582]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
> May  6 11:57:38 settantacinque gdm[815]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
> May  6 11:57:45 settantacinque gdm[821]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
> May  6 11:57:45 settantacinque kernel: Machine check in kernel mode.
> May  6 11:57:45 settantacinque kernel: Caused by (from SRR1=49030): Transfer error ack signal
                                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmmm. isn't this when a device (like a PCI or AGP device) goes dead,
i.e. doesn't reply when addressed?

> May  6 11:57:45 settantacinque kernel: Oops: machine check, sig: 7

> This crash gave me the first indication of what might be the physical
> cause: I was rotating the AC adapter plug where it goes into the
> computer.  Oh, but when I try to reproduce it, no amount of
> adapter-jiggling will crash it again.  Grrr.

This all points to a hardware problem. I guess it's time to visit your
friendly Apple service center :)

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |