Re: XF86Config-4 for 266 MHz iMac

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:23:20PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:47:17PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> >
> > Well, thanks for the technical discussion! ;-) Unfortunately this doesn't
> > answer the question: how do we get a 266 Mhz iMac to properly run X?
> > I don't know where to put the video modes that were mentioned, for one thing,
> > since they don't seem to be in the XF86Config-4 file any more.
>
> The X server has a set of industry-standard modelines compiled into it.
> You can read a copy of them at:
>
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/examples/vesamodes.gz
>
> > Is there a valid config file that any has that works? I've looked
> > through the archive for the two years or so and I haven't found
> > anything that works...
>
> All someone needs to do is post a "Modes" section for the iMac's weird
> modes.  You then add a reference to this Modes section in your Monitor
> section.  The XF86Config-4(5) manpage explains this.  Here's an example.
>
> Section "Modes"
> 	Identifier	"Weird-ass iMac Modes"
> 	# "Mode"s or "Modeline"s go here
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Primary Monitor"
> 	HorizSync	# 58-62 or whatever the iMac's tolerance is
> 	VertRefresh	# whatever's good for an iMac's CRT
> 	UseModes	"Weird-ass iMac Modes"
> EndSection

Google amazes again:

---

Apple Computer, Inc. July 2001

Video Display

The built-in video display uses a 15-inch CRT (13.8-inch viewable
diagonal). The CRT uses shadow-mask technology and has a dot pitch of
0.28 mm. The display has a fixed horizontal scan rate (60.015 kHz) and
supports three resolutions.

[305]Table 3-4 lists the resolutions and the vertical scan rates
supported. [yada yada]  The display supports pixel depths up to 32
bits (millions of colors) at all resolutions.

The iMac computer has a port for an external video monitor. The
external monitor shows the same information as the built-in display, a
mode sometimes called hardware video mirroring. The external monitor
supports only the display resolutions that are available on the
internal monitor, as shown in [306]Table 3-4.

Table 3-4  Display resolutions and pixel depths

Resolution  Vertical rate  Pixel depth
640 by 480  117.233 Hz     32 bits
800 by 600  94.97 Hz       32 bits
1024 by 768 75.03 Hz       32 bits

---

It does do 1280x960, too, but it's kinda uncomfortable on my eyes.