Re: Audio encoders optimized for altivec (I have a G4)

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 21:48, David Stanaway wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend an encoder for me?
>
> I use grip as a front end, and tried oggenc from vorbis-tools but I can
> only encode at half realtime!
>
> I have only used mp3 encoders before on intel systems, so maybe this is
> just a sign that ogg is a more complex transformation than mp3 but I was
> hoping for at least real time perfomance.

What clock speed etc. is that? I get more than realtime with a 667 Mhz
G4. The compression you want to achieve probably also matters, I usually
encode for 160 kBit/s average rate and leave the rest at defaults.

> It doesn't really matter to me if I creat oggs or mp3s.
>
> Any recommendations?

LAME is probably the best encoder for MP3s, don't know if it supports
altivec yet though.