Re: Installation woes on PB2400c

hej,

> However, I've run into a few qwirks. My first problem is the floppy
> problem which has been posted here before, an "fdflush 515" error. No
> biggie, doesn't seem to matter to much on woody. Potato, however,
> won't read the driver disks. Yes, I've made more disks, and yes,
> they're different disks. It's a real problem. But potato's old news,
> right?
this problem does not happen with my PB2400c here, (with both potato
or woody), so there's probably something a bit shaky with your
hardware.

> So, everything goes basically ok, until I get the kernel and drivers
> installed. It seems that the Debian disks don't detect my PCMCIA
> controller. I've bailed to a command prompt and modprobed i82365, to
> no avail. If I go through the PCMCIA detection manually, it blows up,
> as in waits 3 minutes and reboots.
the config files need some manual tweaking; but I am not sure if it
is possible to do this during the install process. however, the
modifications required are:

# /etc/pcmcia.conf
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=

... and ...

# /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
# System resources available for PCMCIA devices
include port 0x100-0x4ff
include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff

# High port numbers do not always work...
# include port 0x1000-0x17ff

# Extra port range for IBM Token Ring
#include port 0xa00-0xaff

# Resources we should not use, even if they appear to be available
# First built-in serial port
# exclude irq 4
# Second built-in serial port
# exclude irq 3
# First built-in parallel port
exclude irq 7

... at least that's what works with my powerbook 2400c.
please note:
- woody: I had trouble booting 2.4 kernels correctly, and when using
  quik it seemed to fail to initialize the PCMCIA controller somehow
  (linux would not find it and berserk while booting). however, that's
  6-month-old news, so things might work nowadays
- potato: works perfectly smooth here, with some small customizations
  (most importantly: install opera as web browser, as anything else
  is far too slow :) ).
- booting: quik requires some handwork to be done (debian installer
  did not set it up entirely here, and it's rather ugly).
  BootX works very fine for me.

concerning installation: in case you have another old mac lying around,
it might be quite convenient to attach the PB2400c in
SCSI-disk-mode to that mac, and try to install therefrom (in case
this one actually has a CD ROM). that worked very smooth, for me.
network might be troublesome, as not all PCMCIA network cards are
supported out-of-the-box and seem a bit shaky (the one here worked
only with fully-charged battery and requires a couple of
"pcmciactrl reset 1" to shake it awake).

I have set up a 2400-experience page on
http://www.gubbe.ch/linux/pb2400.php
if you have further questions or hints on what might be troublesome
on the pb2400, please drop a note to me!

thanks and good luck,

Philipp Kaeser / furball@gubbe.ch