My own comments re: debian 3.0 powerpc release

Hi,

What kind of info about the install process would be most useful for me
to take notes on?

Here are my comments and a question so far.

Comments:

After looking through reams (?) of web pages and FAQs on and off for two
weeks, I've recently got Debian to boot on a G4 and used the Woody beta
minimal install CD to do it (whichever version was current on 11 Apr).
Finding the right image to download was part of my difficulty.

The OS 9 based install worked great until it came time to down doing the
net part of the install, then it couldn't find the network card.  The info
from the back of the case and different parts of the Macintosh Control
Panel menu said only ethernet, not which type.

The part of the initial configuration where one chooses the mouse did not
allow canceling or undoing a choice and it was not clear (to me) which
driver was for the USB optical mouse.  I kept choosing the wrong ones and
gave up quickly.  (I don't use the mouse anyway.)

Anyway, though other docs were good, the most useful document for me was:

	http://www.xiph.org/~jack/ibook/instnotes.html

The web pages for the Debian sites are attractive, but go in circles.
Being task oriented, I would like to see more clearly where to go to get
install documention (targeted to peope new to debian), how to install and
where to get packages.

Question:

Please try to forgive the nebie questions but *how* do I install things
like apache and *where* can I find good collections of binary packages for
the powerpc, preferably in Europe / Scandinavia?  I think I have the hang
of dpkg Many tell me that apt-get is the easy way to install things, but
so far it fails when it comes to dependencies.

-Lars

PS:  So far I have only SSHD running and some very basic packages like
perl and bash.  And removed NFS and many X related things.

I've *used* Debian 1997-2000, but this is the first time I've installed it
or even administered it.  I have administered a few RedHat 7x servers and
workstations the last few years.