Re: boot-floppies 3.0.21 for testing

"Rolf Brudeseth" <rolfb@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Regarding your posting in the "debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org" list
> looking for help to test boot floppies, has the Debian PPC port been
> designed to work on the IBM RS6000/pSeries hardware?

I don't know.  If you provide one of those machines to me I'll be
happy to test it.

> I contacted Hartmut Koptein and Matt Porter over two years ago. They were
> listed on the Debian home page as the CHRP and PREP port maintainers,
> respectively.

Read

  http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep

My read of that URL is that RS6000 should work but is not tested.

> I indicated that I have access to various labs full of hardware
> ranging from the very low end to the high end systems and that I
> would be more than willing to test install floppies/CDs for
> them. Being a long time Debian x86 user, I was very disappointed to
> learn that the IBM RS6000/pSeries hardware was not on the list of
> system that Debian would support.

It's not?

Isn't that up to what the prep kernel supports anyhow?

> I have in the past tried to install Debian from the install floppy images
> on the Debian web site; however, it fails for both CHRP and PREP.

That's not good, well, we need more testers.  It's not enough to test
and let it fail, however, you need to file bugs on the appropriate
places.  If the machine cannot even boot up into the installer, it's
probalby a bug on the appropriate kernel-image-* package.

> Again, I would be more than willing to assist with testing Debian on
> various RS6000/pSeries hardware; however, I do not understand how to create
> boot images. Someone would have to make these available to me.

I can build PowerPC images which include the PREP/CHRP stuff from CVS
-- releases of it also exist in the archive.  What more do you need?

> Furthermore, the "Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For PowerPC" document
> just released appears be incorrect with respect to the architecture of some
> of the IBM systems. Do you want me to send you an updated list?

Yes, please -- if you could submit it as a bug against boot-floppies
that would be best.  I don't do all the doc updates.

In conclusion, we acknowledge that we need the involvement of poeple
who's hardware is not well supported -- PREP and CHRP in particular.
Only with your testing, follow-through with bugs, ideas and
suggestions can we improve our installable user base.