Re: 8500 won't boot if unused drive disconnected

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:49:59PM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> The short story: My 8500 won't boot if I remove a drive that should not
> be accessed during boot.  I would like to see if I can get the Mac to
> boot without it.

> I have two theories about this:
>
> - The ID 0 drive holds the internal bus terminator.  Maybe if I got a

This is definitely true.

> terminator I can mount on my ribbon cable, then things would work.  Do
> such terminators exist (this would mount on the internal ribbon cable,
> not like the external terminators that have Centronics connectors on
> them).  Where could I find one?

Sorry, I don't know. But you have the right idea. Or, since your new
drive has termination capability, you could terminate it and set it to
address 0 with the jumpers.

> - The Mac is loading the SCSI disk driver off my ID 0 drive, and that
> allows the Mac to continue to boot.

I don't think that's it. The drivers are loaded off the same disk they read.