Re: heavy problems installing woody on a brand new iBook

On Wed, 2002-03-20 17:23:39 -0800, Viral Shah <viral@cs.ucsb.edu>
wrote in message <20020321012339.GA11391@nat.cs.ucsb.edu>:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 12:20:45AM +0100, Philipp Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > a few days ago I bought a new 12.1" iBook 600 to use it primary as linux
> > machine, but during my various tries all i saw were kernel panics.
> >
> > The Debian installer (from NetInstall CD 2002-02-15) claims the computer
>
> I think that CD was known to be a corrupt one or so.. I got it and it
> couldn't find base.tgz.. Get the March images..
>
> > error mesages when accessing the nic. My tties with the 2.4.18-bh0
> > kernel resulted in an total system lockup when switching the console.
>
> They seem to be harmless..

thanx you all....

the current new-powermac images now boot when load from harddisk via open
firmware and i am able to use my harddrive, this mail is written from
the console of my iBook via ssh to my i386 box at home....

i'm currenty compiling a new kernel to fight XFree86.... the
install-kernel seems to lack dri support (correct me if i'm wrong),
I'm searching for the 'at' sign on my keybord (de) and sometimes root not
found vfs panics, but I think I'll get it working...

AVE!
  phils...

--
     PHILIPP SCHMIDT / phils - - + - - > philipp@ppc.in-berlin.de