Re: Sound on Tanzania, and life with Apple Open Firmware

On  12 Mar, this message from Geert Uytterhoeven echoed through cyberspace:
> On 11 Mar 2002, Mack Allison wrote:
>> Sounds working just great on my Tanzania/4400, I'm just curious.  On the
>> MB, I see a Crystal chip that looks like it should be sound, but no such
>> device shows up on the PCI bus.  In fact, I haven't been able to find
>> any sign of having a sound device.
>
> Which Crystal chip?

Yes, because Crystal != PCI sound chip. They produce loads of different
chips, some being support chips for sound systems, like
mixers/amplifiers etc.

> Note that on the LongTrail, the CS4232 is an ISA device, not PCI.
>
>> But the dmasound driver loads, and it plays music *better than it did in
>> it's life as a Macintosh. (???)
>
> So either you have two sound chips, the Crystal chip is not a sound chip, or
> the dmasound driver uses the Crystal chip.

Probably the latter: I would suppose that the main sound part is
integrated into some Apple ASIC, with the Crystal chip providing some
external support functions.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |