Re: fs mounting problem (minor correction)

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 08:07:52AM -0800, Ron Farrer wrote:
> > My
> > problem is Linux (2.4.17) doesn't seem to want to mount it, when trying
> > to do so it says "mount: /dev/sdc6: unknown device". mac-fdisk also says
> > there is no readable partitions on the disk, however cfdisk correctly
> > sees them all:
> > sdc1	PRIMARY		FAT16		11.52
> > sdc5	LOGICAL		LINUX swap	2119.18
> > sdc6	LOGICAL		LINUX ext2	21074.29
> >
> > sda contains MacOS 9. MacOS is able to see the FAT16 partition just
> > fine. I took the drive out and put it back in the Alpha and it works
> > fine. So my question is, why can't I get Linux to mount any partitions
> > from this disk?

Do you have support for PC BIOS partition tables enabled in your kernel?
(Under "File Systems" -> "Partition Types" -> "Advanced partition
selection") If you don't have support for a PC-style partition table
(which, if cfdisk shows a partition table, that's what is on there),
then that would definitely explain it.

--
Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN