Re: firewire hard drive

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 06:18:21PM +0100, Herv? MATHIEU wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to install debian on a external firewire hard drive and to
> boot it normaly ? I have a powerbook G4. (the openfirmware is updated).
  Boot is no problem, OF handles it pretty well. Linux, however, does not
handle it so well yet.  A normal install won't even attempt FW.  In order to
actually use firewire as a root (AFAIKT) you need to create an initrd of
sorts to hang around until the FW drive is initted and detected, then mount
it an continue with the boot.
  I've tried this on a few occations but have yet to put enough effort into
it to create a working initrd.  The same problems hold true for USB and
PCMCIA/cardbus: They need to be detected and inited outside of the kernel
before they can be used, which means they can't be used for / (without an
initrd)

  Let me know if you find/make a working system, I have a friend wanting to
play with Debian from a USB drive as well as my own uses.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
"I'm sorry kids sometimes what's right isn't as important as what is profitable"