Re: [Debian-PowerMacs]Re: adsl connecting, but not doing anything

on 20/02/2002 06:03, Michel Dänzer at daenzer@debian.org wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 07:31, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
>> on 19/02/2002 19:32, Michel Dänzer at daenzer@debian.org wrote:

>>> Silly question, but is your default route set to use the PPP peer as
>>> gateway?
>>>
>> another silly question: what's the "peer"?
>
> The host at the other end of a connection in general.

ok, thanks.

>> i should post some logs of this, i think it would help tremendously to debug
>> this. i'll see if the DSL is logging stuff, and if not i'll run some
>> diagnostics and set the DSL to debugging level.
>
> The output of ifconfig and route -n would be a good start.

okay, here's what i have for the ppp0:

ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
        inet addr:(my IP)   P-t-P:(ISP's IP) Mask:255.255.255.255
        UP POINTTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
        RX: packets:(at the time it was 128)
        TX: packets: (at the time it was lower than 50)
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

that's what i copied from the screen. except for the RX and TX (it was all 0
or low numbers, i had just started the connection), the IPs, that's exactly
what there was. i didn't think of doing route -n (wasn't installed). i'll
install that tonight and post that up when i run the diagnostic.

BTW, anyone care to tell me how to output screen output to a file, so i
don't use so much paper? then i can cut and paste this stuff when i'm on the
mac side.

Thanks again,

eric