Re: [Debian-PowerMacs]Re: PM 7500 won't install s/w

on 15/02/2002 22:39, Chris Tillman at tillman@azstarnet.com wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:19:47PM -0500, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
>> on 14/02/2002 22:19, Chris Tillman at tillman@azstarnet.com wrote:

>>> It would be very easy, if you have room on your disk, to initialize a
>>> partition as ext2. Then mount both that partition and the HFS
>>> partition in the installer environment (you'll need mount -t hfs for
>>> the one) and use cp -R to copy everything to the linux partition.
>>
>> what do u mean by "installer environment"?
>
> Well, assuming you don't have a working Linux system available to you,

which i do :)

> before you get one installed, you have the installer itself which is a
> mini-Linux system. If you switch to console 2 as described in the
> install manual, or alternatively choose Execute a Shell from the
> installer's main menu, you can execute some Linux commands.

ok, i've seen that, and i've done that, kind of. when switching to the basic
hard drive run linux, i had to do something like nvsetenv or some such thing
to get it to run off the hard drive

>>> Then, to remove the metadata, if you mounted the new partition at
>>> /mnt and your top level folder is 'debian', use
>>>
>>> rm -r `find /mnt/debian/ -name '.resource'`
>>> rm -r `find /mnt/debian/ -name '.finderinfo'`
>>>
>>> The hfs partition won't let you remove them in place, AFAIK. You have
>>> to copy them first.
>>
>> whoa! neato! the drive is a 258 MB oldie tho, and it's already mostly filled
>> :(. an excellent idea tho. thanx!
>
>> i tried doing it from the outside (removing the invisible files, except for
>> the DT files) - but obviously won't work, cuz i stil have the DB and DF
>> desktop files there (which i think is the .finderinfo and .resource
>> (CorrectMeIfI'mWrong)). i thot of formatting the thing as a PC disk, but
>> there's no utils out there (AFAIK) that will do that on a mac.
>>
>> is this possible tho: mounting an HFS+ disk (1/2 of my startup drive is
>> partitioned into 2) into linux, and then copy from there, and use the small
>> drive as a temporary linux partition? or does it have to be on the same
>> drive?
>
> It doesn't have to be the same drive, but the problem is the installer
> doesn't speak HFS+, just HFS. Maybe you should lay out what your
> drives look like now, partitions you've created, where the free space
> is, where the mirror is and how much space it takes, and I can get you
> going. I'm having trouble visualizing.

258 MB drive: the HFS partition is 81% full, and is /dev/sdb6 (argh i wish i
could get the keyboard set in Linux!)
1 GB drive: has the Linux partitions; 1 root (50 or 60MB), 1 home (500), 1
user (500MB), and the swap (64MB). boot partition is /dev/sdc6
9 GB drive: has my OS Mac 9.1 startup partition and is in 2 equal parts.
that would be the equivalent of /dev/sdaX.

on that mirror (the 258MB disk, 1 volume), i have 41,9 MB left.

now, the problem has evolved somewhat, in my favour: i've managed to install
a whole bunch of things, but no matter what i do or edit (fstab e.g.) it
WILL NOT install from that HFS partition, even tho it sees it when i mount
it. what i probably have to do is do like u said above, which is delete all
that meta data, do a dselect, then maybe the dselect installer will work???
(i'm sorry if i'm not too clear, i'm still learning the jargon).

i assume that when the finder realises that drive doesn't have the desktop
files, it will rebuild the desktop.

eric