Re: X setup for Rage 128 in G4 400Mhz Tower

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:12:16PM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Fre, 2002-02-15 at 08:22, Paul Hampson wrote:
> > I've gotten X to work with the configs below, by changing
> > Driver from 'r128' to 'fbdev'.
> > I can't see an error in the logs that would imply things don't
> > work, it just gets as far as loading the fbdev driver, and then
> > unloads all the drivers again.
> You probably mean the fbdevhw module.
Yes... Yes I do, in fact.

> > One possiblity is that I'm using devfs and there's no /dev/fb0,
> > just /dev/fb/0. The 'Options fbdev /dev/fb/0' is from the fbdev
> > driver's man page. Is it possible that the r128 driver is just
> > making assumptions about the fb device?
> Yes, that's the case. Can't you make a /dev/fb0 link? I think devfsd
> does that with default configuration.
I can, and have done so.... I just wish there was a neater
way... It'd be nice of fbdevhw could read the "fbdev"
parameter, rather than just fbdev...

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.