Write permission for an hfs-formatted partition?

Folks,

I have an hfs-formatted partition mounted on my Linux system which I use to exchange data with my Mac when its booted with MacOS. For some reason I can not change the permissions, even as superuser. I would like to make the hfs partition writable even to the everyday Linux users (well, me as a non-superuser) just for convenience sake.

Here's the line which automounts this partition in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb14 /mac_hfs 		hfs	defaults	0   2

Is there something special about a mounted hfs partition that prevents me from changing the permissions? How can I make this partition writable by everyone?

-- Bill