Re: usb printer via pci usb card

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 04:53, Russell Hires wrote:
    Hello everyone,

    I've looked through a number of web pages that deal with USB printing, and
    followed their instructions and such, but no dice. I'm using KUPS for printer
    configuration, but I get a message at the bottom that says "Can't connect to
    CUPS server. Check your options!"

    I don't know what options to check for. I know that debian, kde, and the
    kernel can all see my printer (an Epson Stylus 777i), but for some reason,
    KUPS cannot. The printer is USB and is connected to a PCI USB card. I'm
    running a stock 2.4.17 kernel with the USB options turned on...I'm stuck.

    How do I get KUPS to connect to the CUPS server?

I have no idea about KUPS, but I just setup CUPS on my
all-round-server-box. Try using the web frontend if KUPS does not work;
CUPS includes a built in web server you can use to configure stuff for
it. It runs on port 631 by default, so point your web browser to
http://printerhost:631/ - if your CUPS server is running on another
computer, and you might get an "access denied" greeting - in that case
you need to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add your hostname to the
following part:

<Location />
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny From All
   Allow From 192.168.1
</Location>

This allows access to the printers from my local network (192.168.1.*)
Also do the same for the <Location /admin> part a bit down in the same
file. Then again, if you just have one computer, no editing is
necessary, since you can just access it from localhost by default.

Once you edited the file, do /etc/init.d/cupsys restart and you should
be able to access it.

Now add a printer with the web based tool, and it should work.

There was one thing I had to tweak by hand though, CUPS did not let me
choose /dev/usb/lp0 for the printer port, so I had to first add a
printer with /dev/lp0, and then edit the /etc/cups/printers.conf and
change it to /dev/usb/lp0, it worked fine then.

I hope this helps.

To test the printer from commandline you can do "lp -d printername
file.ps" - if that all works, then there is something wrong with KUPS I
guess.

Best wishes,

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::