Re: USB audio

ozymandias G desiderata writes:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:06:06PM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>>> Do you have a patch? I'd be interested in seeing your bug report.
>>
>> Check google:  cahalan usb audio -google
>> Look for the follow-up with extra info.
>
> I took a look at your posting. I'm not sure what value disassembly
> code has over locating where the error is occurring in the source.

I just used it to help map back to the C source, mostly.

>> I'm tempted to do the very un-Linus hack of finding out if our
>> many sound daemons could be stuffed into the kernel. I'm sick
>> of all the conflicts, and not happy knowing that there is an
>> extra source of lag in the middle. Oh well.
>
> I'm not sure exactly which lag you're talking about, and I'm not sure
> that the kernel hackers are deserving of any ire.

What ire? OK, I admit to wanting an audio driver that does
mixing and resampling. Then all the apps that want to take
over /dev/dsp could play nice together.

> USB audio is the
> most economical solution to a problem, and the fact that it works at
> all under Linux is neat, but it's never going to be as efficient as
> most other solutions to the audio problem. I'm pretty sure the only
> reason Apple chose to do things the way they did was cost.

No way. I'm sure USB audio cost more. Advantages:

1. save board space inside the cramped cube
2. get the amplifier outside the case for heat dissipation
3. fewer connector types to confuse the user