2.4.16 kernel config & KEYBOARD death

Hello,

Does anyone else have keyboard difficulties upon successful
compilation of the 2.4.16 kernel using GNU/Linux 3.0 (testing
pre-release) for PPC ?  I'm trying to get this working on a
G3 400MHz 2000 (NewWorld) Apple "Pismo" Powerbook.
All of my kernel configuration parameters are located here:

http://www.dialectique.org/linux-dev/debian-kernel-compilation.html

(I found some documents online as per disabling ADB stuff and enabling
the framebuffer support, but i still can't get it working.)

Please help!!!  The mouse works great, but i can't get past the
graphical login without keyboard input.  Is there a way to boot
without starting X (if that's the problem) ?  I think it has to
do with the kernel configuration, because the included kernel in
the distro (2.2.19-pmac) works fine (X, keyboard, etc.)

thanks in advance
-r.