Re: Memory tester for powerpc?

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 07:06, Michel Lanners wrote:
    On  25 Jan, this message from Russell Hires echoed through cyberspace:
    > Just so I can be sure it's not my RAM causing my kernel oopses, is there a
    > utility for testing RAM in Linux? I know that there is one in the x86 world
    > that can test memory, but in the powerpc world...???

    None that I know off (and this has been asked a few times before,
    without answer...).

Check out

	http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/memtester/

This one runs on ppc. I cannot tell if it is good or bad, since I dont
know how a memory test should work to be "good", but it prints nice
stats to STDOUT, hogs the CPU and allocates a lot of RAM. I guess it
works ;-)

	If it's SDRAM, stick it in a i386 and test there?

That too.

I wonder how hard it would be to port memtest86 to ppc, it is a neat one
since it is basically a linux kernel that just runs the memory test.
Nice way to minimize the reserved memory size.. But I guess it also
writes its output directly to the VGA memory, which would be a problem
for PPC I guess.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::