Re: LUNA: Xdm login problems

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Mike W4LNA wrote:

> On Thursday 24 January 2002 04:34 pm, Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> > > I'm running Debian PPC (woody) on a PowerMac 7500 with a 250MHz G3 card.
> > >

> That's a pretty unique hardware situation compared to most people...

True, but I was hoping my problem was more generic. I provided the info
just in case.

> > > 'startx' works fine for me, but xdm doesn't. When I use xdm, a partial
> > > text window appears in the lower right corner of the scrren while the
> > > login window is up. The text window seems to have some log statements in
> > > them. I can't move it or anything.
> > >
> > > After I log in, the screen stays gray. I can use the mouse to bring up
> > > the menu and log out. When I do, the xdm login screen shows up as before
> > > (with the text box), but everything is hung. I can't type or use the
> > > mouse. I can do ctrl-alt-command-shift-F1 to bring up a console screen,
> > > from which I can do normal console stuff.
>
> What no window manager?   Check for a ".xsession" file in your home
> directory.    It should have something like "exec startkde" in it.

OK. I moved my .xinitrc to .xsession, and now I get a working session.
However, once I log out, I still the the "frozen" screen - I can't type or
move the mouse. Actually, if I hit ctrl-command-f1, I can log in, but then
it hangs once my "desktop" comes up (I don't use a Desktop Environment).

Here's my .xsession file here (don't worry, it's small):

---- begin .xsession file

#!/bin/sh

xsetroot -solid darkslateblue

#start some xterms
/usr/bin/X11/xterm -sb -ls -geom 80x25-2+2 -title "shell"&

#start the window manager
exec /usr/bin/flwm

---- end .xsession file

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation