Xdm login problems

I'm running Debian PPC (woody) on a PowerMac 7500 with a 250MHz G3 card.

'startx' works fine for me, but xdm doesn't. When I use xdm, a partial
text window appears in the lower right corner of the scrren while the
login window is up. The text window seems to have some log statements in
them. I can't move it or anything.

After I log in, the screen stays gray. I can use the mouse to bring up the
menu and log out. When I do, the xdm login screen shows up as before (with
the text box), but everything is hung. I can't type or use the mouse. I
can do ctrl-alt-command-shift-F1 to bring up a console screen, from which
I can do normal console stuff.

Here's some info, if it'll help:

ppearson@pearson-songy-2475e:~$ uname -a
Linux pearson-songy-2475e 2.2.19-pmac #1 Sun Oct 21 13:45:25 EDT 2001 ppc
unknown
ppearson@pearson-songy-2475e:~$ ls /etc/rc2.d
S10sysklogd    S20exim     S20lpd                S89atd        prev.S99xdm
S11klogd       S20gpm      S20makedev            S89cron
S14ppp         S20inetd    S20nfs-kernel-server  S99rmnologin
S19nfs-common  S20logoutd  S20ssh                prev.S20xfs

The files with the 'prev' prefix are the ones I commented out right after
installing, until I had X configured properly. WHen I remove the 'prev'
prefix and start up the machine, I get the behavior described above.

My /etc/inittab shows that the default init level is, indeed, 2.

Any ideas?

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation