Re: Netscape with Woody install problems

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Michel Lanners wrote:

> On  18 Jan, this message from Paul F. Pearson echoed through cyberspace:
> > When I try to install Netscape with dselect, it says that Netscape relies
> > on a statically linked Motif library which "is not available." Is
> > something wrong with how I have may apt-sources setup?
>
> Yeah, only the 'helper' packages for Netscape are available for
> Debian/PPC, the 'real stuff' isn't. I've had positive experiences with
> the last available binary RPM from LinuxPPC, alien'ized for Debian.
> There was one quirk with a missing library, but a clever symlink solved
> that problem. Let me know when you can't find the RPM, I'll put it up
> somewhere.

That answers "the other part" of my confusion - why is Netscape
"available" (sort of) when it doesn't work? IMNSHO, if it's broke, then
don't let it be an option.

> Now, as others have stated already, whether you really want Netscape or
> not is your choice. After all, the above version is at something like
> 4.72 - full of bugs and even security holes. I'm using it myself still,
> as I haven't yet taken the time to search for and configure decently a
> replacement.

I was looking for Netscape for familiararity. Besides, I don't run KDE or
GNOME, and I thongt Konqueror and that other one mentioned in another
message, required one of those desktop managers. I may try KDE; I may just
try Konqueror w/o KDE; I may try GNOME again (this time I'll RTFM); I may
try that other WWW browser w/o GNOME. I just *love* choices!

Thanks a whole lot!

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation