Re: Fix for german keymaps in woody on the ibook2

Hi again,

On 16 Jan 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

[...]
> That's not written in stone. ;) Anyway, I checked and the enter key

You're right, but I'm lazy ;)

> indeed produces keycode 96 in console here. Its default symbol in X is
> KP_Enter, sounds like a good victim, no? :)

Yes, but I already sacrificed it for mouse buttons. It't just perfect for
that because it's so close to the touchpad, and normal apple keyboards
don't seem to have this key, so it's basically unused...

> > [...]
> > > I use xmodmap to turn the Enter key (keycode 108) on the right of the
> > > space bar into Mode_switch and Multi_key.
> > >
> > > I wonder if something like this could be a general solution, at least as
> > > an Xkb option?
> >
> > Sounds like a useful solution, but only if you don't multiboot to
> > MacOS. They're using the "alt" key there, and it can be really irritating
> > if your Mode_switch position depends on your operating system...
>
> I don't like this kind of argument. This is not MacOS, period. I care
> much more about consistency within Linux or X in general.

Well, consequently, "@" would be AltGR+Q, instead of alt+L.
I'm all for intra-linux compatibility here, but as soon as the keys'
behaviour differs from their labelling, I'd consider that a bug.

I guess we don't have to argue here, just provide both flavours and let me
choose another keymap than yours ;-)

Cheers,
	Siggi