Re: The broken fdisk

> > It should show some sort of version number on boot ... that's what I
> > meant. Linux version 2.2.19-pmac is what I grep from the binary. I'd
> > suggest you use a more recent kernel version
>
> Available where? I don't have access to a compiler at all. How some OSs
> get away without providing a compiler and source is beyond me...  An
> easy curlable url would be much appriciated.

Linux does provide both compiler and kernel source last time I checked. As
for 2.4 kernel images, browse the list archives, I'm sure this came up
before. Look at penguinppc.org, there might be precompiled kernels. As
always, google is your friend.
A kernel image is what's sufficient to test the fdisk problem - in order
to continue installation with a non-default kernel version you'd also need
a matching module set (meaning someone will have to build drivers.tgz for
that kernel version).

> <snip viable workaround>
> > Once the Debian side is up and running you can always trash the MacOS
> > partition and turn that into a Linux partition. It's a bit of a
> > workaround
> > but I don't see another way if a 2.4 kernel doesn't help.
>
> A third way would be to burn a cd. I might try both. I noticed that I

You'll need a bootable CD with yaboot, and the woody instead of potato
installer files (the only CD images I can think of are for potato).

> need to use the ethernet instead of the airport card when installing

I doubt that - there's a shell you can use to set up the network
connection within the installer. There's even DHCP support in the
installer. Just configure the wavelan interface manually and you should be
set. As long as you can configure the interface with ifconfig, that is.

	Michael