Re: Buildd Update

> > They were marked failed instead of not-for-us due to a lengthy argument I
> > had with Ryan over the use of not-for-us. If someone can manually force a
> > build and prove the packages stand a chance to build on powerpc I'd
> > suggest filing bugs to have powerpc added to the arch list.
>
> Would you mind educating me? From my understanding, it would be better
> to have them listed as not-for-us and get them out of the failed
> build list. But hey, I'm just learning.

The argument was as follows: if they are banned to not-for-us there won't
be any more attempts to build even though the arch list may get changed in
future. Getting stuff out of not-for-us requires manual override so the
maintainer needs to contact someone to get it done. Maintainers don't
bother, as a rule, so that's a no-no. Leaving packages in and repeatedly
failing them just constitutes a minor (or massive)  annoyance on part of
the autobuilders. That's OK it seems.
Since powerpc is really Dan's thing I chose to follow this argument (I
chose to do as I please for m68k). What really needs to be changed is the
wanna-build frontend should look at the Arch: field and provide a way to
not get these packages listed as needs-build (so the autobuilders can be
sure to only get packages that make sense to build).

> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltiff
> >
> > Build dependency issue. I strongly resent having to install additional
> > build dependencies because the maintainer was sloppy, for two reasons:
>
> I agree with you. I wouldn't ask you to add anything that should be
> specified in a build-dep. Indeed, I file bugs whenever I find build-dep
> problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but -ltiff is libtiff which is
> provided by libtiff3g. The build-dep from synaptic looks like this to me.
>
> Depends: hermes1 (>= 1.3.2-1), libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2-3.2, libc6 (>=
> 2.2.4-4), libjpeg62, libpng2(>=1.0.12), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>=
> 1:2.95.4-0.010810), libtiff3g, libungif4g (>= 4.1-1), libwraster2 (>=
> 0.65.0), xlibs (>> 4.1.0), zlib1g
> (>= 1:1.1.3)
>
> Which includes libtiff3g. That's why I don't think this is a package
> problem.

This is the package install dependency list. The build dependency is:

** Using build dependencies supplied by package:
Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 3.0.0), libwings-dev, libapt-pkg-dev,
librpm0-dev, gettext, hermes1-dev

and the sbuild warning about missing dependencies (rather educated guess):

**** The following central src deps are (probably) missing:
  libjpeg62-dev, libpng2-dev (>= 1.0.12), libtiff3g-dev, libungif4-dev (>=
4.1-1), libwraster2-dev (>= 0.65.0), zlib1g-dev (>= 1:1.1.3)

I've added libtiff3g-dev, libpng2-dev and libjpeg62-dev, still fails (now
with /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lungif). You probably see the problem - in
order to determine the minimum set of missing build dependencies one needs
to install them one by one (above warning sometimes contains a load of
stuff that is nonsense). Frankly I consider this a waste of my time. It's
the maintainer's business to make sure the package (auto)builds.

	Michael