Re: Sonnet G4 and inconsistant MHz reporting

On   7 Jan, this message from Ron Farrer echoed through cyberspace:

> I just put a Sonnet G4 450MHz/1M upgrade card in my PM 9600 and it
> works great. However MacOS 9 says it's 544MHz and /proc/cpuinfo says
> it's 400MHz. Anyone know what the deal with that is?
>
> For the curious, here is the contents of /proc/cpuinfo:
> processor   : 0
> cpu     : 7400 (G4)
> clock       : 400MHz
                ^^^
This is OF screwing up. I don't know how OF detectes the CPU clock
frequency, but I'm sure it gets it wrong for all processors it doesn't
know. And your OF has no idea about G3 or G4 processors.

> revision    : 2.9
> bogomips    : 898.34
                ^^^^^^
This in fac t is the better indication of clock frequency: not as
precise, but quite accurate nevertheless. Divide it b 2, and there is
your clock frequenca (well, more or less). Of course, once somebody
comes out with a processor that does the timing loop faster than two
bogomips/clock tick, you're screwed again ;-) But so far the divide by 2
rule works reasonably well on G3's and G4's.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |