Re: powerpc b-f build compiles the kernel

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 10:02:01PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Sun Jan 06, 2002 at 01:54:12PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> > > Well, the only reason I could see is if it either needs a kernel
> > > config option enabled, not provided by the kernel-image-*-prep
> > > package, or else if it needs a file from the kernel build not normally
> > > provided by the package.  It should be pretty easy to read bootprep.sh
> > > and take a look.
> >
> > Can someone post that?  I'm sort-of curious what needs to be done
> > 'special' for a prep box..
>
> I used a prep box a while back.  I recall the build process
> needed to compile the initrd into some special section in the
> kernel so the thing could netboot...

Okay.  What's going on is that we can't fit the initrd and kernel on the
same floppy.  It _should_ be possible to do them on seperate floppies
(since PReP uses the normal PC floppy driver) like x86.  What this
script does is build a kernel with the ramdisk inside (all ppc arches
can do this, but only chrp can do it w/ yaboot (right now)) of the
'zImage', and then boot that off of CD or network.

Right now I'm not sure if kernel-package will actually produce a working
kernel-image for PReP, unless (maybe) it's compiled on a PReP box.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/