Re: Voodoo3 3000 in a PM?

On Friday 04 January 2002 06:06 pm, Ron Farrer wrote:
> Going over the list archive as well as a few of the PPC sites, it looks
> like you can put a voodoo3 3000 in a PCI PM by changing the firmware on
> the video card. My question is, how does one do this? I've got a voodoo3
> 3000 that I'd like to put in a PM 9600, but I don't have a clue what to
> do.

It can be done, I'm using such a setup now (in a beige g3). However, there is
only 2d support under linux afaik and the kernel tdfxfb needs a small patch
(at least until annex gets it merged). 3d works under macos, albiet only with
beta drivers that will never be finished now.

I will dig up the needed files from 3dfx for mac support next time I'm booted
into macos and send them to your privately if you want me to (reply and tell
me). If you just want linux 2d, X4.1.0 has what you need, use driver tdfx.
There are a few problems in 4.1.0 if you use it multihead, none afaik in a
normal setup.

BTW, if you do do this, can you send me a copy of the pc-firmware.save that
comes out of the flash? I've lost my copy, and would really like to have one
in case I ever want to give the card to a pc-using friend. Dunno that I
would, but it would be nice to have that option.

--
Kevin Alan Puetz
(515)572-0927