Re: pbg4 modem wakup

On  30 Dec, this message from Gaudenz Steinlin echoed through cyberspace:
> Am 29.12.2001 10:07 Uhr schrieb "Michel Lanners" unter <mlan@cpu.lu>:
>> Yes, the modem needs time after the serial port has been opened, since
>> the modem is powered off as long as nobody has /dev/ttyS0 open. But
>> definitely, starting minicom on /dev/ttyS0 and just waiting for some
>> time (a few secs) should be OK; after that, the modem should respond to
>> the usual at commands (try atiX, where X=0...9).
> but my modem does not respond to any commands. Is there some way I could
> debug this? Should I see some kernel messages in the logs? I waited for at
> least 30s. I even tried in single user mode to be sure that no other process
> blocks the modem. I also unloaded all irda stuff (by the way this works, so
> macserial should be ok in principal).

Hm, this starts to smell like a real hardware problem. Does the modem
work under MacOS?

>> macserial: i2c-modem detected, id: 1
>> PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
>> tty00 at 0xc9902020 (irq = 22) is a Z8530 ESCC (internal modem)
>> tty01 at 0xc9909000 (irq = 23) is a Z8530 ESCC (IrDA)
> mine reports the same whenever i load macserial.o

Ok, then the modem is basically detected.

> I do really not know whats wrong, because it seems to work for others using
> the same setup. My kernel is 2.4.17-ben0 rsynced on 12/28/2001 (image
> downloaded from debian.jones.dk)
>
> I would like to have some hints on how to debug the problem further or on a
> bullet-proof way of waking up the modem.

Hmm, try it out under MacOS with something like zterm (does that still
work under OS9?). There is one thing that could be wrong software-wise:
your modem may have a default config to not give status messages back
(under a USRobotics modem, you can change that with ate1 (echo commands
ON) and atq0 (result codes displayed).

Beyond that, visit your friendly Apple dealer ;-)

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |