Re: PowerBook G4 1 Firmware Update?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 10:46:43PM +0200, Andreas W?st wrote:
> Hi
>
> A few months ago I read an interesting thread about Firmware updates,
> specifically concerning the of password protection. I've now been looking
> around on apples website, starting with asu.info.apple.com which brought me to
> an awfully slow http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html and an even
> slower knowledge base.. Set up my ID, though I can not find straightforward
> information on firmware updates. A search after "powerbook firmware update"
> brings up a list with various papers, though I can't see at all which update
> is newest and which is thought for my TiBook1.
>
> Am I right that 4.2.9 is the lastest, though it doesn't work on TiBook1, and
> 4.1.8 is the lastest for this model?
>
> Do I have to update the firmware version by version or can I run the latest one
> straight over the built-in version?
>
> Would be very grateful if someone could enlight this topic a bit (even had
> ages to find asu.info.apple.com at all, and then realizing that it doesn't
> exists anymore..).

Search the list archives for firmware update. There was some problems
caused by applying them, IIRC on iBooks. My own experience is I didn't
have a problem applying 4.1.8 on my iMac.

I haven't looked, but I suspect 4.2.x is for newer models. You can
just download it and try it, it won't run on an inapplicable model.
You have to run it and then hold in the reset switch when starting up
to actually get it applied, it tells you it's not applicable during
stage 1.

> PS: What about Ethan Benson? He hasn't been writing a single word on this list for
> months?

Well he decided to spend his time elsewhere after getting all upset
about the way a bug was being handled and inappropriately lashing out
with personal attacks.

I believe he's still maintaining yaboot & company.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |