Re: Segfault compiling kernels

> > > make[1]: *** [fastdep] Segmentation fault
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/boot'
> > > make: *** [archdep] Error 2
> > >
> > > It seems make is to blame here??

Might as well be mkdep:

fastdep: dummy
        $(TOPDIR)/scripts/mkdep $(CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) -- $(wildcard *.[chS]) > .depend

Rebuild that (make distclean should throw away mkdep IIRC). Please do also
run mkdep under gdb control and report the resulting backtrace after
segfault.

> > Spurious segfaults can only really be caused by libc, the kernel or
> > hardware, or am I missing something?
>
> I don't know if you can call these 'spurious', since they _always_ happen on kernel compile,
> but (so far) on nothing else. I think memory has been exercised enough during install and
> during first tests (running Mozilla and konqueror at the same time under Gnome ;-). It would
> really be a very bad coincidence to always hit that bad memory block on kernel compile.
>
> Which leaves libc: but why doesn't anything else that uses libc segfault then?

I'd blame libc though I really can't put a finger on why :-) If it's not a
bad memory issue. mkdep uses realloc quite a lot.

	Michael