Re: Install on a Wallstreet 300

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 03:25:03PM -0500, Pan wrote:
> I have a couple of questions
>
> First, I'm trying to install debian on my laptop (it's powerbook G3,
> wallstreet model I think, 300 mghz). It was the top of the line when it
> came out. I'd like to know if this is considered newworld or oldworld,
> because I can boot to OF, but I can't boot off the cd.

According to the latest version of the install manual (see my sig for
a link), that is an oldworld.

> And second, I read a couple of times about installing linuxppc and
> installing Debian on top of it. Where can I find information about that
> process, or what would be the best way of doing it?

linuxppc is dead AFAIK. No, that would be a completely unsupported way
of doing it.

If you have the latest CDs, version 2.2r4, they are unfortunately not
bootable on PowerPCs of any kind. The boot blessing was missed.

One thing to try, from the OF prompt, is

boot cd:1  or  boot cd:1,yaboot

I'm not familiar with the cd's, but if yaboot is not at the root
level, then you might be able to specify the entire path to it and get
it to boot like that (use forward slashes as directory separators).

For oldworld, your choices are burning a couple of floppies and
booting those, or using BootX to boot from MacOS. You can still use
you CD as the source for any software the installer needs. Once you
get your system installed, you should be able to boot using quik.

For details, please RTFineM.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |